I can touch my toes, I can handstand, I haven't washed my hair in two weeks. Can you tell which is the lie? Probably not because you don't know me as yet (BTW the second one is the lie). Would you have guessed that? Maybe you thought it was the third. Don't worry! We will discuss these "Two Truths and a Lie" strategies and much more below.
You guess it! The game is called “Two Truths and a Lie” or "Two truths and one lie" and it makes for an excellent icebreaker. This game can be used in many scenarios ranging from a fun party game for young adults to a kids game or a learning tool employed by teachers in the classroom. Or even at work as an icebreaker. Couples can use the basic and online version of the game, especially over long distance as a fun new twist to communicate.
There is no need to stick to the traditional two truths and one lie — feel free to mix it up with “3 truths and 1 lie” or “2 lies and 1 truth” or even replace lies with a wish. Therefore, the game is called “Two Truths and a Wish”. Just be sure to state which version of the game you are playing at the beginning.
How to Play Two Truths and a Lie
RulesWith every game, there are rules which must be followed to ensure the best experience for all parties. So please adhere to the instruction below, they are quite simple.
- Two truths and a lie is mostly played by two people but more make it better!
- The rules are to give 3 statements about yourself. Two of them of which are true and one is a lie.
- These statements can be in any order as to help confuse your friend or friends.
- The others who are playing all get to guess your Lie.
- After their guess, you can then reveal your Lie.
- Who may go next is up to you. The person that guessed your one Lie correctly is normally second to go.
- Play as many game rounds as you want!
Instructions — Short VersionBefore starting or in-between rounds you might want to brainstorm a few statements internally to keep the game going at a good pace.
- Think of three statements about yourself two of which are true and one is a Lie.
- Mention your 3 statements to the group or person you are playing with.
- Give the group or person a chance to guess which of your three statements is a lie.
- After everyone has guessed, reveal which was the lie.
Two truths and a Wish
Two Lies and 1 Truth
Bad "Two Truths And A Lie" Examples - What NOT To Do
DO NOT LIE!
- Do not make your lie your truth or your truth a lie this ruins the game for everyone. Stick to what you have decided when stating your Truths and Lie.
- Do not choose very obvious statement this will make the game too easy for your friend to guess which is the truth from false.
- Also, try not to let your statements include technicalities such as, “I have driven 520 miles during one trip”.
If the statement above is defined as a lie and the truth is: “I have only driven 519 miles during one trip” — statements like those tend to annoy players. Try to make your truth vastly different or not even related to the lie.
A few more Bad Examples
|I ran 20 miles in 6 minutes.||I ran 20 miles in 7 minutes|
|I have owned 3 blackberry phones.||I actually owned only 2 blackberry phones.|
|I took eight flights in one vacation.||I actually took nine flights.|
|I have been to Canada.||Technically while on a ship I have gone through Canadian seas.|
For example, DO NOT USE Statements like:
- I have never eaten food before (since everyone has)
- I do not breathe air (because everyone does)
You get the point! Try to use statements which aren’t so obvious more acceptable statements are:
- I have traveled to London in the winter
- I own four shades of brown wallets
- My mother runs over 3 companies
These types of statements make your opponents think making it harder for them to guess. Try to make the game as challenging as possible for them it adds to the fun! Speaking of strategies there are a few more which can be employed to throw your friends off the right answer.
Good Two Truths and One Lie Examples
Truth: Table tennis is my favorite sport.
Truth: I put on 20 pounds in 3 months after starting gym then lost 30 in one month after.
Lie: I prefer to watch football over cricket
This is a good lie because most people prefer to watch football.
Truth: I broke my toe in two parts from a simple fall and did not even know.
Lie: Burger King cookies are the best I ever tasted.
Truth: My favorite character in Game of Thrones is Arya.
Lie: I am twice as good at cooking than I am at baking.
Truth: We once drove down to the sea and into the water, so I could see if the car would cut out.
Truth: I think makeup is overrated and should be banned from certain areas.
Notice we mixed up the truths and lies in the above examples: lie-truth-truth, truth-lie-truth, and truth-truth-lie respective of the last to the first example. This helps to complicate guessing for your opponent.
Below are some examples of truths and lies surrounding one topic? These are even more difficult for your friend to guess — try them out!
Truth: I have drifted a truck.
Truth: I have drifted a car.
Lie: I have drifted a go-kart
Note how all the Truths and Lies are surrounding the same topic
Truth: I started a YouTube series but it flopped.
Lie: I was on TV as a child.
Truth: My favorite character in Game of Thrones is Arya.
Once again note how all statements are related to TV
Lie: My eyes are my best physical feature.
Truth: You can tell what I am feeling from my facial expressions.
Truth: I wear makeup to hide my flaws.
Effective "Two Truths and a Lie" Strategies
Look for outrageous truths and then something simple for the lie. This will throw off your opponents greatly and is a common strategy I employ — they remain focused on the two outrageous statement believing one of them HAS to be the lie. Simple and effective I call this the Sniper tactic.
Refer to example list above (Example 2 and 3).
Try to keep all statements around the same level in terms of believability. This averages out the probability of your friend guessing the lie correctly. This is not really a strategy but is commonly used nevertheless. I call this one fair play.
Play with facts slightly switch the names of places, for example, Burger King might not sell my favorite cookie but MacDonald does (Example #1). Be careful with this tactic as it can annoy users (see the what not to do section).
Pick a good Lie that seems like a Lie but can't be the Lie because it is too obvious. This one I call “hiding in plain sight” and is used to confuse your friends by making them doubt themselves. Try not to change your tone of voice when saying these statements (this applies to all strategies as well). Especially with this strategy, I've observed we have a tendency to giggle.
Some more general strategies...
- Start with a simple truth than an outrageous truth, then a simple lie so the second truth seems like the lie (Example #1).
Choose a lie that could be true.
- Of course, mix up your strategies as you play more rounds or your friends will figure it out and start to beat you!
Some more common Truths
Some more common Lies
Truths and Lie Ideas for Groups
- I sleep naked.
- I’ve never kissed the opposite sex.
- I don’t like pineapple on my pizza.
- I like my eggs raw.
- I like my steak extra rare.
- I take 45 minutes to shower.
- I spend over 50% of my time online on FaceBook.
- Modern music is crap compared to 2000 -2005 RnB.
- I have never lost a game of monopoly.
- UNO ended one of my friendships.
- I’ve been cheated on.
- I always sing in the shower.
- Most soaps I’ve tried itch my skin.
- Book to movie adaptations are always the best movies.
- I spend hours a day on YouTube.
Truths and Lie Ideas for Sports
- I played football in secondary school.
- I think Olympics are foolish.
- I played lawn tennis at University.
- I play table tennis professionally.
- My workplace had table tennis tables we played at lunch.
- I broke my hand playing netball.
- I only watch volleyball for the women.
- I enjoy watching football.
- I enjoy watching cricket it is so exciting.
- I would rather watch a sport on TV than Live.
- I have been to a Live WWE match.
- I go to cricket matches to pick up girls.
- I have driven drunk from an NFL match.
- I’ve never spilled food on myself at a live game.
- I met my girl at an Ice Hockey match.
Truths and Lies for Teachers
- I have two children.
- I once won a pie-eating contest.
- When I was ten, I hated science.
- I am terrified of clowns
- I bungee jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge
- I once ran 18 miles straight.
Flirty Truths and Lie Ideas
- I like when my lip is pulled during kissing.
- I go to the beach to see guys run shirtless.
- Abs are the most attractive body part to me.
- I fantasize about you at night.
- I prefer the lights on.
- Beards are incredibly sexy to me.
- I love a little bush.
- I like my hair pulled.
- Your smile gives me butterflies.
- The Bumps in the road from driving turn me on.
- I like the dad bods.
- Just wear a suit and tie and I will be attracted to you.
- I like rough treatment sometimes.
- I love to role play.
- I love staring into your eyes as I get off.
Funny Truths and Lies
- I’ve shit myself on the way to the bathroom.
- I could not get a piece of poo to flush after 6 attempts.
- It takes two for me to cook something properly.
- I have fallen off an ATV.
- I’ve worn the same thing to both a funeral and wedding.
- I’ve sharted before.
- I’ve farted and blamed it on the dog who ran away.
- I’ve made a table from driftwood.
- I’ve driven over two animals in one day (by mistake).
- I daydream.
- I once call my girlfriend my mother’s name, and she thought it was another girl.
- I sleepwalk when I am stressed.
- I often check the beach for gold artifacts.
- I fell asleep while eating and my head fell into my food
Icebreaker Truths and Lie
- I’ve spilled coffee in the office on my first day.
- I’ve walked into the wrong building and done a full interview.
- I’ve poured coffee on the mug when it was upside down.
- I can't even bare to look at a dirty room.
- I've gotten shocked from an office outlet which then caught on fire
- I always have FaceBook on my previous work computer (I was a social media marketer).
The rules are:
Who plays Truths and Lies Online? Couples, Friends, Family?
Truths and lie makes a good online text question game for couples.
Truths and lie can be played between close friends.
Or with two family members.
Is a great icebreaker for new friends and relationships!
This game is for a fact one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had with my wife on an overseas trip.
Two facts: We actually played and texted for almost an hour the first time. It is also true that I beat her! In the game of course. We still play occasionally.
To be honest, have never heard of this game. The website does let me know quickly what you are about, that is a big plus. It easy to play and use, another plus. Well laid out, essay to navigate, all in all, a good site.
Yes, loved loved this game. One of those games that make you think can be tricky, those intellectual types games with a twist according to the category you choose. I like playing this game on a cool Sunday evening, as it keeps my brain busy while relaxing, I like the fact that you can add some of your own truths and lie also. I say to the makers, add some content, let us have some funn!
My boyfriend always guessed my false statements accurately. When in reality I wasn't actually lying. So a win for me!
I got so many wrong the first time playing with my GF. I think she was teasing me. Don't worry as of today I passed her high score!
I played two true and lie with a single friend recently. I did not realize we knew so much about each other probably clogged your database with our history. Admittedly Maria's untruths were pretty easy to figure out.
Great game mate. Fibs and Truths love it because I always win though i only played two times!
This such an effective icebreaker for new relationships from new friends to new couples. I played this with someone I met yesterday and it was a bonding experience.
Did not like something?
Would you like us to add new features?
Just want to chat with the admin?
Let us know below by clicking the feedback button! We appreciate your input and take all request seriously.